Friday 2 January 2015

Herping In IIT Chennai, India

Brook's Gecko
Date:
January 2nd 2015

Species Found:
  1. Brook's House Gecko (Hemidactylus brookii)
  2. Indian Bullfrog (Hoplobatrachus tigerinus)
  3. Asian Toad (Bufo melanostictus)
Background:
My family took a trip to Chennai for 2 days and I decided to look for herps on the IIT campus in my free time. The campus is built in a reserve forest so it has lush greenery and prime wild animal habitat.

The Trip:

I just went around the campus one evening for an hour or two, looking along ponds and under rocks.

The first animal I found was a gecko on the side of a rock. On closer inspection I found that it was a Brook's Gecko.
Brook's Gecko
Brook's Gecko
Brook's Gecko

The next herp I found was an Indian Bullfrog. I saw a lot of them hopping by the side of a pond and it took a while to actually catch one because they were so fast and it was dark. The individual that I caught was a juvenile. Adults get around 5 times bigger.
Juvenile Indian Bullfrog
Juvenile Indian Bullfrog
Juvenile Indian Bullfrog
Juvenile Indian Bullfrog
Juvenile Indian Bullfrog

On the way back to the hotel I caught a little Asian Toad. I had seen plenty of these near my house in Bangalore but this one had a darker and duller coloration than the ones I had seen.
Juvenile Asian Toad
Juvenile Asian Toad
Juvenile Asian Toad
Juvenile Asian Toad

This was a very short trip but I did manage to get 2 new species for my Indian Herpedex.




No comments:

Post a Comment